John Rumm

scoobz wrote:

I'm new to the DIY game, but I'm hoping to a buy a house shortly, and
somone has knocked a small window-sized hole (around 2'x3') through a
brick wall between the kitchen and dining room, as kind of a
pass-through.

However, all that is there at the moment is a rough hole. I will need
to apply some cement to finish and sqare off the hole.

I think I would be more interested initially in whether it was a load
bearing wall, and if they had put a lintle in over the hole to stop the
wall collapsing!

What would be the best way to do this? I would like to use cement and
someone suggested using a timber frame which I can then fill with
cement.

How thick is the wall? single course of bricks?

I would have thought if you tidy up the edge of the brickwork so that it
is reasonably square, then stick in a frame made from rough 4x2" timber,
followed by a wider planed timer lining that is as wide as the wall is
thick. Then render/plaster the gaps between the outside edge of the
lining and the existing wall to get it all flat. The finally fit
architrave round the edge which will tidy up any remaining messy bits.

Can anyone give me some help or point me to some "how-to" sites for
this kind of thing?

Well this newsgroup is a good place to start, although you have found it
via a less conventional route it would seem (the DIYbanta site is just a
web based "wrapper" round a number of ordinary usenet groups).

--
Cheers,

John.