Set Square

Default Lathe and Plaster

John wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing some plaster in the cupboard under the stairs
in my house. The house was built in the 1930's and from my initial
investigations by looking at some of the plaster that is already
falling off - i can see wooden strip running vertical - are these part
of the lathes 'cos i thought they ran horizontal?? also the plaster
has what looks like thin hairs in it - is this normal for 30s
plastering??

I'm hoping to remove all the plaster and attach a piece of
plasterboard or some MDF to replace it then paint it. It's all hidden
so it's not too much hassle just wanted a bid of advice.

Cheers

John

I can't explain why the laths are vertical - I would expect them to be
horizontal. But it was apparantly usual to reinforce the plaster with horse
hair.
--
Cheers,
Set Square