Stormin Mormon

I would give serious consideration to the $219 if that includes a new
refrigerator if they can't fix it right.
CY: New fridge would be good for several trouble free years of service.

Problem could be a worn out
compressor that is running all the time
CY: sometimes part of the freon leaks out, but that warms up the whole
thing. Compressors (usually) go out all at once. Klunk!

to keep the freezer cold and thus
over cooling the fresh food section.
CY: The thermostat is in the fresh (refrig) section.

Does it sound as if the compressor
never shuts off. On older refrigerators, the compressor ran to keep the
freezer at right temp and the temperature in the fresh food section was only
controlled by regulating how much of that cold air was circulated into that
section by a damper.
CY: Oddly enough the thermostat was in the refrig, and the cold coils
(evaporator) are in the freezer. Usually. The damper regulates air flow to
the refrig.

Could be that damper is now stuck open so that you
aren't really controlling (restricting) air flow into fresh food section.
CY: If the damper is stuck open, both refrig and freezer tend to be the same
temp.

I'm not a tech however, just a long time Appliance salesman (Sears)
CY: Hey, you are doing what you can. I may disagree with you on hwo fridges
work, but I'm glad you are pitching in and helping out.