John

"JimGC" wrote in message
Bear with me a moment ... I'm shocked at the cost of running
my small flat's combi boiler compared to my previous
terraced house boiler which had a hot water tank. The cost
has doubled (3bd house HW/CH with 4 occupants was £360pa
over the year, 1 bd flat combi HW/CH with 1 occupant ran up
£60 in December alone!) The flat is fairly modern (1982) in
good condition, and I have the water/ch on from 6-9am and
from 4-11pm, turning it off when CH gets too hot. Dec. is
the worst month of the year measure usage, but even if it
all drops 50% for the rest of the year, it's still too high
for my liking.

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by you have the water/ch on?
Are you perhaps using a two channel programmer in error as most combis have
the HW permanently available regardless of the timer function for the
central heating. In this case perhaps the installer wired up the two channel
programmer so that ch is on even if the programmer thinks it is switching
the hot water. Try to tell us what make and model of combi, what make and
model of programmer etc you have installed.

The reason for posting here is that I have already asked
about the inability of the boiler to provide a constant flow
of hot water. (CH seems to be very hot whenever it's on
whatever the thermostat on the boiler is set to).

CH on some combis is a fixed temperature the thermostat on the front is for
hot water, however you could have two adjustable thermostats again it
depends on the make and model of combi.

Is it possible that the boiler has faulty thermostats and is
failing to provide constant hot water, but also using way
too much gas to feed the CH? Or am I just paying the price
for having this kind of boiler? Is it possible that I'm
using the combi boiler in the wrong way, and that these
fixed timing settings are not appropriate to combis?

See above