ARWadsworth

Default combi boiler - efficiency and cost

"JimGC" wrote in message
Bear with me a moment ... I'm shocked at the cost of running
my small flat's combi boiler compared to my previous
terraced house boiler which had a hot water tank. The cost
has doubled (3bd house HW/CH with 4 occupants was £360pa
over the year, 1 bd flat combi HW/CH with 1 occupant ran up
£60 in December alone!) The flat is fairly modern (1982) in
good condition, and I have the water/ch on from 6-9am and
from 4-11pm, turning it off when CH gets too hot. Dec. is
the worst month of the year measure usage, but even if it
all drops 50% for the rest of the year, it's still too high
for my liking.

The reason for posting here is that I have already asked
about the inability of the boiler to provide a constant flow
of hot water. (CH seems to be very hot whenever it's on
whatever the thermostat on the boiler is set to).

Is it possible that the boiler has faulty thermostats and is
failing to provide constant hot water, but also using way
too much gas to feed the CH? Or am I just paying the price
for having this kind of boiler? Is it possible that I'm
using the combi boiler in the wrong way, and that these
fixed timing settings are not appropriate to combis?

You are not heating the water with the timer when using a combi. It may be
you need thermostatic radiator valves and a room thermostat fitting to make
the system much more efficient, especially with the comment you have to turn
the boiler off when the CH gets too hot. The TRVs I fitted payed for
themselves in no time.

Read
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

Adam