PG

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:27:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

PG wrote:

Couldn't get GanttPV to work on my Win98 PC.

I had a quick play with GanttPV too, installed OK on winXP but looked
fairly primitive :-(

I've identified now that
what I think I need is a critical path analysis program, rather than
gantt chart software,

M$project and PMW handle that, it's part of handling the dependencies,
resources and earliest start/latest finish dates, a Gantt chart is as
good a way as any to view it.

On small projects the Gantt chart has a tendency to boil down to a
diagonal line with only a few minor items not on the critical path :-(

|---+
+---+
+-----+
+-----+
+-----+
+-------|

Just about to download "Planner" via the fist link above.

Did you find a win32 version, or are you OK with a linux version?

The one I downloaded turned out not to be win32, so I'll look for a
win32 version. Meanwhile, I've just found one or two others that might
do. I'm passing over the ones that cost $3,999 to register! $39 is
more like my price range. Freeware better still, if it's worth using.
I'd like something that will draw me an instant flow chart based on my
list of tasks, durations and dependencies - and perhaps offer some
suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of, using pen, paper and
dopey human brain.

PG