SmileyFace

In ,
Morten wrote:
"Roger" wrote in message
"SmileyFace" wrote in message
[loud humming noise coming from the water main]

Sounds like water hammer to me, have you checked the ballcock valve
in the water tank in the attic?

No, I admit I've been putting it off. Long story. I'll go up there today
gulp.

Just because you haven't changed anything in your installation the
water board may have increased / decreased the pressure of the
incomming water to your property which can cause watter hammet o come
and go without any reason (that you are aware of anyway) and can be a
bitch to catch..

Amen brother. Why they'd do that in between C*****mas and new year beats
the hell out of me. *But* I saw one of their vans outside yesterday
evening, wasn't fast enough to get out and question the driver though.

What is youe incomming water pressure anyway?

I don't know, but it isn't brilliant and I can't say I've noticed a change.

[install a pressure reducing valve]

That's one for after the holidays. My handyman won't be around any more and
I have to step into his overalls, as it were. And first I expect I'd
have to find the external stopcock, and a lot of courage. I used to love
DIY but I hate doing it alone; two heads are much better than one when
something turns mean. If I can avoid it, I will.

Have you tried to close the stopcock in front if the meter, that will
tell you if the problem is yours or comming from somwhere else, close
the stop cock and open a couple of taps in your house (tie up the
ballcock in the water tank in the attic if you have one). Is it still
noisy, then it would have to come from outside your dwelling and
pretty mich out of your control anymore.

I can't find the external stopcock; it was probably buried like the NTL
cable point when our LA decided to tarmac what was once pavement.

D'you think calling the water board [after the holiday] might help? What I
*don't* want is a huge bill from anyone. If it comes to that, I'll buy
earplugs.

Cheers,

--
Gill