SmileyFace

Hi there,

In ,
JL wrote:
[letter from the local council]

The works proposed are as depicted on the enclosed plan and you may
feel you can concur with these being carried out without the
preparation and agreement of a formal "Party Wall Award". In such
circumstance we would compile a schedule of conditions, with your
agreement, of the areas adjacent to the party wall, together with
supporting photographs, as a record of the existing defects in your
property.

The building next door to me was demolished some years ago, turning my then
terraced house into a semi. Though the Council didn't own the property,
they dealt with demolition and pre-works survey.

They sent round a *snotty* surveyor, who searched out anything remotely
substandard in that area at the outset so when the work was over they
could - and did - claim any damage was pre-existing.

When the damage was *not* confined to the party wall [i.e. ceilings shoved
out of whack, windows that wouldn't open etc.], they pointed to their
"survey" and said "we're only interested in *this* bit".

So I'd advise you to photograph other areas yourself; walls at right angles
to the party wall, ceiling angles to the walls and anything else you might
think of. If you have a digital camera, it won't cost a bean unless you
print them. If you don't have one, now might be a good time to buy one.

If you feel your interests would be better served by the preparation
of a formal award, then you may nonetheless concur with the
appointment of a third surveyor, who will impartially regulate
matters affecting us both."

A good idea, but still keep an eye on things and, most important, *take your
own photographs*, over time too. Keep a written record of any remarkable
events. You may have to become quite annoying if there is any problem. I
hope there won't be, though.

What would we need to do from our our side if we ask for a "formal
award"? Would we need to find and hire the "third surveyor" (their
wording). I think that they must mean a third party surveyor.

I suspect they missed the "party" as LAs so often do. I didn't have to hire
the structural engineer who supervised the repairs but there was another
party involved in my case with whom I liaised. Might be worth checking with
your buildings insurer. You shouldn't have to *pay* when you're gaining
nothing IMHO.

The house is ex-council, built on very heavy clay and is about 50
years old. My mothers house has a number of cracks in the internal
walls which have been there for decades. They just decorate over
them. I don't think the party wall has any significant cracks.

Get photos of all the internal cracks before work starts. Keep an eye open
for any developing while it goes on. The works may cause no problems, and I
sincerely hope that's the case, but it's best to be prepared.

It took a long time to sort out the mess my place was left in. In my favour
was that the *other* semi [untouched by the actual work] developed cracks
too. And a piece in the local newspaper after two years.

Sorry to sound like the Prophet of Doom. But I wish I'd been a bit more
savvy.

HTH

--
Gill