SmileyFace

In ,
Roger wrote:
"SmileyFace" wrote in message
[loud humming noise coming from the water main pipe]
[reverberating through the house]

Though your noise is unrelated to your water flow I wonder if could
be due to the noise of your neigbours water meter conducted along
your pipe from some combined water meter block feeding all the houses.

Weird that it *just* started to happen on Wednesday morning, all the same.
And it hasn't stopped yet. I tried running all the taps/appliances at once
but it didn't help. Then I took the boxing from around the stop tap to see
if there was anything obvious there. No, there wasn't.

I've even turned the water off at the stop tap and run all the taps to drain
everything out. Twice. And it hummed the whole time. Though I admit the
stop tap doesn't quite "stop" but reduces flow to a trickle. Naturally it
continued to hum when I put the water back on.

It's intermittent now, and the pitch varies for no apparent reason. It's
driving me nuts. When it's loudest, I can hear it in every room. And right
around the clock, too.

I seem to have pinpointed where it's worst; in a most awkward place near/at
the top of the stairs, where I can't see the pipe without wrecking
something.

Could it be as simple as a pipe stand-off that has fractured over time? Of
course, I'd still have to *find* it.

It's all a bit unlikley, but then your noise must be coming from
somewhere. Can't say I've ever heard comment on water flow noises
generated by water meters. Can they really do this?

Well, I don't have one (and apparently I should), and I don't *think* the
other semi does. But on the *other* side of my house is a small housing
association estate built in 2000. Would properties built so recently be
*required* to have meters?

Bugger, this is annoying.

Cheers,

--