T i m

Default Crap B&Q Mains Halogen Spots

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:26:33 -0000, "Ev'ryday Me"
wrote:

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems with the
mains halogen spotlights from B&Q.

I recently bought a four set light and a 3 set light, dimmable 230v units.
Out of the 7 halogens, 4 blew within one week. I returned these and
customer services told me to get the boxes from the shelves and replace the
lights, faulty for new. I went away happy until the same thing happened the
following week.

I then took all 7 back and insisted that they exchange what I considered to
be sub-standard lamps for better ones. After much trying to blag there way
out of the situation by saying stuff like I've got earth faults etc. they
did swap them all for more expensive lamps and no extra charge to me. The
lamps in the end came to more than the units.

These lights haven't failed yet and they've been in for 6 months now.

Stand your ground and take names and times if you have to.

My Daughter and I did similar with one of those little desklamps with
the telescopic arms. We bought it to illuminate a small 'breeding'
tank for her tropical fish. The tank was too small for any std light
fitting so I cut out the black plastic lid and replaced it with some
clear sheet. We placed the lamp so it shone down from a good 8" above
the clear lid and all was well for about 3 months (it was on a
timeswitch and on from 8am to 6pm).

Then the bulb failed I replaced it (checked fuse etc) but noticed the
plastic base had melted slightly (and presubanly the transformer had
gone o/c). I took it back (to an upmarket shed g) and told them the
story. The assistant took it to the manager who said I could change it
for another "this time" but it shouldn't really be used for that
purpose?

I said it was used for the purpose of creating light and as there was
no mention of any restrictions to how long it should be on a day? I
would also return the replacement if it failed!

2 months later it did fail (a different model as well) and they
started to kick up more of a fuss re replacement. I stood my ground,
kept polite and went away with another different model (even paid the
difference to show I wasn't trying to con them..).

My challenge was for them to show me where it said that I couldn't
leave the light on 24/7 if I chose to? I had no issue replacing a
failed bulb. (I think I also *mentioned* the words 'merchantable
quality', 'fit for purpose' and TS g)

All the best ..

T i m