Ed Sirett

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:04:46 +0000, Stefek Zaba wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I'm trying to find a hot water system that will fit into a
cabinet whose outside dimensions are 500mm wide, by about
2m high, 600mm deep.

[ ... ]

I think to fill a reasonable size bath I'll need about 150L
capacity.

You can get them made to size, but unfortunately you can't fit a quart
into a pint pot.....

In case that wasn't clear enough... let's do some scary multiplication,
in scary units called "decimeters". There's 10 dm in one m (hence 10cm
and 100mm in one dm). And a cubic dm is (to all reasonable purposes) a
litre. So the outside space here is 5 x 6 x 20 dm, giving a total cubic
capacity of 600dm or 600l - so the tank'd have to take a quarter of the
gross volume, more like a third of the internal volume once you've got
cupboard doors, sides, and (oh) access space for the boiler.

If you get a custom-made rectangular tank,

That's the chink AIUI in this argument. The only tanks I've seen in this
shape are made of steel. Even the ones which look rectangular in the
pre-plumbed units popular in 70's flats (Harcopak etc.) actually have
cylinders inside a box of foam insulation.

You could probably get a standard cylinder in if you carve off the
insulation at the sides, a bit of a pig to fit though.
In my own house I fitted a 375mm+insulation diameter cylinder and with the
modern fast recovery coil it can produce a bath full every 15 mins.

375x900 is about 100 litres and should be adequate for most homes.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk