Lurch

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:59:10 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

Out of interest, which parts did you find unreliable? I know the fancy (but
complicated) gearshift system gets a bad press,

Complicated? 5 gears + reverse.....

but I've found my two really
good. Maybe a tiny bit notchy, but so much more convenient than finding a
huge industrial wiggle stick on your left, pressed into your passenger's
thighs.

Well, I think was about the only thing that didn't break on the Boxer.

What In didn't like about the Boxer was the cheapness of it all.
Everything was just, well, crap. Nice driving position though, and the
low rear access was useful, as was the 'squareness' of the sides as I
always rack my vans out which is PITA with curved sides.

While Budgens had it, on quite a few occasions during the 2 years I
had it it had;

* 3 new driveshafts.
* 1 new ECU.
* 1 new other ECU type thing, just as expensive as the main one.
* Various other 'minor parts' replaced.
* The back doors would never shut without a good slam, the same with
the side door.
* The door holder openers never held the front doors open.
* There was a fairly major wiring fault with the vehicle that fried
the 2 ECU's and meant the van was always a bad starter and that the
cooling system never worked properly so the van was prone to
overheating. This was missed at every service and the cause was fairly
obvious apparently once you dug around in the engine bay, which the
'mechanics' had done on quite a few occasions. It was an auto
electrician, appointed by me at a later date, that eventually fixed it
shortly before I sold it, but my Dad had it by this time so I never
got to drive it while it worked properly.

Moving on to the Partner;

* 1 new alternator, current one on its way out. This is a fairly
common fault as the two 206s owned by my cousins have had altrernators
fail within 20k.
* Crankshaft pulley bearings shattering and destroying half the bottom
of the engine. A common fault apparantly, one which Peugeot have done
nothing about and still fit the same crappy parts as a replacement.
* Gear linkage\box prone to looseneing failing. Always needed
adjusting\checking as there was always loads of play when in gear,
(wore than my old 200k Maestro in fact).
Again, garages saw it more than me.

So, in general, I can't say I'm impressed with Peugeots of late.
--

SJW