r.p.mcmurphy

"SmileyFace" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

In ,
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
"SmileyFace" wrote in message
There's a loud humming noise coming from the water main pipe

sounds like you need to 'shock' it out of the system by turning on
all of the taps full blast including any appliances for a few minutes
and the one by one turning them off. the sudden change in flow
through the pipes is usually enough to stop the vicious circle of
water hammer.

OK, cool. That sounds like a fix I can live with. Off to do it now.

failing that id speak to your neighbour and get them
to do the same thing.

At first I thought it was them hoovering! But they don't get up till 5
am.
I'll do that if necessary; I live in a semi so it's likely our water
supplies are linked.

Cheers,

--
Gill
all quiet for now

np. the problem is unlikely to go away until the source of the initial jolt
that starts the hammering is found and fixed. i have the same prob in my
house...when i use the hot water the cold water tank in the lofts' ballvalve
which is circa 15 years old closes suddenly and causes the jolt that start
the water hammer. it last about 10 mins and dies away naturally unless i
run the cold water tap and flush the loo to stop it first. its not bad
enough to fix just yet, but when i next do some plumbing work i will fit a
new one to solve the prob. it sounds like its your neighbour that has the
water hammer problem, might be worth having a chat if it becomes more of a
nuisance.

Steve