Owain

"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Ok, but I'm not sure my 20 year old certificate qualifies me to
| use the meter with the oven switched on.
| It may be safer if you construct some wire probes for the meter.
| Take a core from some flex, wrap some bared wire round the probes,
| and then cover with insulation tape.
| These can be secured round the terminals in question, before the
| cooker is turned on, and not touched again till it's turned off.

Slightly more safer would probably be a set of 240V-rated test leads from
Maplin[1] with crocodile clip ends. Older test leads with unshrouded plugs
on the meter end are rather dangerous if/when the plugs pop out of the
meter.

adds 'shrouded test leads' to 'things to buy real soon now' list

Owain

[1] In the small display rack between the radio-control cars and the disco
lighting :-)