Owain

"Lobster" wrote
| | I expect to get the approval for my planning application (well,
| | building warrant)
| It's important you get the right one.
| What's the difference? (Alternatively - what's a building warrant?!)

Planning permission is concerned with what is built where. It covers
appearance and use of the building, density of population, impact on
neighbours, effect on transport and infrastructure.

Building warrant (building control) is concerned with how something is
built, ie construction, structural integrity, spread of fire and means of
escape, ventilation etc etc., IE compliance with the Building Regulations.

The two departments of the council are sometimes in the same building but
that's about it.

Owain