William Deans

Default attic electrical

Greetings,

What are the requirements for protecting NM 12 AWG wire in an attic run
along the ceiling? The attic has a walk-up stairwell, finished floor and
walls, but exposed rafters. The rafters start at about 4 feet high.

What are the requirements for outlets? How high? GFCI?

I have looked in the NEC but I do not want to misinterpret anything so I am
hoping to get some clarification in this case. I understand that in the end
I must do whatever the local code office wants but first I wanted to
understand what the NEC actually calls for.

Thank you for your time and energy,

William