Ross Mac

"Howard Goldstein" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:32:18 -0600, TJ wrote:
: Anybody install one of these? They sell for about $199 at Home Depot.
How
: did it work out for you?

I love instant hot water taps when they work, but for some reason
every one I've installed eventually suffers a tank leak. In case it's
relevant, my county seems to have a disproportionate number of homes
that require whole-house replumbing after repeated pinhole leak
induced floods.

Wish I could find an instant tap that had a lifespan longer than a
Mayfly's.

I don't have any experience with these things but do have experience with
cooling systems. Usually when you start getting tank leaks on those things
it is a problem with dissimilar metals. If you mix aluminum with stainless,
for example, the least noble metal will sacrifice itself. That is why they
put a sacrificial anode rod made of zinc in your hot water tank and why they
use isolation couplings between copper and galvanized pipe. Well, there's my
2 cents for what it's worth...good luck, Ross