Bubba

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:43:57 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"barry" wrote

I want to go away for a month this winter. I am concerned that I will get
a flood if my heat fails and my pipes burst.

SNIP

You have to drain all of your pipes. Yes, you can leave the heat on, but if
it goes off, THOSE pipes will burst (unless you have antifreeze in your
system) and THAT will cost you an arm and a leg to repair if you have to
start digging into walls and floors to do repairs.

The best thing to do is turn you thermostat down low and have a neighbor
check on your house DAILY or you could get a Honeywell Watchman:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...ource=dealtime

I have a lot of customers with summer homes in the area and they use one of
these. They will plug a spotlight (or lamp of some kind) into it and have it
shine torwards a neighbor's house. If the temperature of the house goes
below the set point, it will bring the light on and the neighbor will see it
and call (whoever: you, service company) because they know the heat is off.

But what if the bulb burns out?
What if the electric goes off?
What if the H/W malfunctions?
What if the service man cant get there?