SpamFree

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

"SpamFree" wrote in message
.. .
IMO showering as a function is poorly explored and I've never read any
book which discusses the issues and comes up with recommendations.
Most simply deal with aesthetics, impermeability of surfaces, or cost
and difficulty of installation.

Not opinion? Right answer? I don't agree. Can the ergonomics be improved?
Here is where I agree.

Here is how I would approach your design, form follows function.

Aaagh! The Chicago School, I believe. Ratbag architects who announced
that principle and then immediately put gargoyles on their buildings.
(Alright warding off demons IS a function but they can't be serious.)
If they actually followed this principle all our buildings would be
Stalinesque. Personally I think that would be a great development; I
have no patience with the architect as "artiste". Death to I.M. Pei
for his Louvre glass monstrosity; to Joen Utzon for the Sydney Opera
House; to Frank Lloyd Wright for the Johnson Wax stupidity and Falling
Water; and to whoever did the Guggenheim. (If they're already dead, go
desecrate their graves.)

(Sorry I got carried away there. g)

Is this a straight shower or a shower bath combination? In a straight
shower I would put the valves at a convenient height. Consider who is going
to usually use the shower. I prefer not to bend over to adjust the valves
so somewhere around elbow height is good, but if you have kids lower might
be a compromise position.

You can't (put them at a convenient height). Too many! Consider the
following showering functions:

- bucket filling (not quite showering but a convenient place for it
and also performs the function of bringing full heat hot water to the
valve panel)

- full pressure wall- and floor-washing hose

- general full body shower

- intimate area washing shower (hand held)

- hair washing shower

- feet soaking tub (not quite showering but has to go on concurrently)

Each of these has to have a valve(s) plus drainage diverter valves to
empty the pipes so that next time you use each of them you won't have
a head of cold water. In total I count 16 valves or at least handles.

Showering is incompatible with a bathtub. Tubs are for small children
and dogs.

I also like either a single handle or a dual handle with easy and shower
actuation. Specifically I like those ceramic disk valves. they give you
1/4 turn from full on drip-less shut off.

OK but I suspect that you haven't investigated Chicago Faucet's
Quarturn valves, or the Grobe, or some of the English faucets using
ball valves.

I find the valve placement to be the least of my complaints with showers
however, it is the height of the shower head. When I redid the shower
valves in my house I set the shower head a little above 6 feet and got one
of those swing arms.

Has it leaked yet?

This allows the user to put the spray where he/she
chooses.

The principle though (of height of shower outlet) is of maximum
importance. It's amazing what even an inch up or down can do. For
children the answer is multiple level shower heads with the desired
one chosen by opening and closing tile stops. (More valves! g)