Kim

Why would you not go to him with a sketch of your counter tops,
including their dimensions? At his show room you can see any number
of edge treatments, quality of granites, sink treatments, etc. And
you can see the raw slabs ... and even the saw they use for cutting
them.

He can give you a good estimate right there, zip out and make a
template at a convenient time.

Any suggestions on finding someone reliable?

No. As I said, my guess would be there is something in your approach
that is not sitting well with prospective contractors. But that is a
guess only.

Thanks,
Kim

HTH

Ken

As for going to his shop, I didn't know where it was. My friend had given me
his name and number and I called him.

Well, I guess it could have been something I may have said, but I don't know
what. I simply told him my name and said he came highly recommended from two
of my friends who had used him, (I gave their names). I told him the kitchen
was ready to go with new cabnits installed but no counter yet. He asked me
what I wanted to do about back splashes and told me he could install tumbled
marble. I said I would let my husband and he work out those details. He made
the appointment, said he would bring some samples, and we could go to the yard
and pick a slab. Then, nothing. Haven't heard from him since.

As for meeting people, it is just my husband and myself, our house is clean,
and my husband always makes sure he has things well planned out. He had all
the drawings ready as well as the sink template, and the location of the holes
for the facuets, etc. We had made a decision on what we want for backsplashes
(tile) and were ready to go. Seems like the right thing to me, but as I said
earlier, we don't deal with contractors much so don't know the proper way, I
guess. My husband is estimating about 70 square feet. Does that seem too
small of a job or something?
Thanks,
Kim