geoman wrote:
Make it clear that he is doing the job if he is just reasoniable on
pricing like any other contractor in town. this takes you out of the dry
call people and put you in the good customer people. The Dry call people
get the run around and get no where.

TURTLE

EXCELLENT reply, Turtle.!!! I get so tired of losers calling every company
in the phone book for free quotes and especially free information!

The problem is that often you don't know what a reasonable price is,
except by calling a few people and comparing prices.
A while ago I needed to have my (street-to-house) water pipe replaced.
Had one guy look at it and give me a quote for $2800, then after seeing
the surprised look on my face he said $2500. I said I'd let him know.
He called 10 minutes later from his car and said "I can do it for $2000,
but you have to let me know today". That sounded like he was trying to
rip me off, so at that point I decided I'd find a better price, or do
the work myself if I couldn't find one. I called a few people from the
yellow pages, and got estimates anywhere from $1100 to $4300 over the
phone. Things like that tell me that some are just out to rip you off.
In the end I had the guy who estimated $1100 over the phone come out to
look at it, he showed up on time, stuck with the $1100 bid, was able to
do the job the next day, and did a fine job.
Needless to say, if I ever need anything else done, I'll call this guy.
If anyone ever asks me if I know of a good plumber, I'll mention this
guy.