effi

"effi" wrote in message
"Kim" wrote in message
My husband has been remodeling our house himself for the past 5 years.
On the
3 occasions we needed someone to do some work, 2 out of 3 made
appointments and
didn't show up or call, and one showed up once, then never showed up
again.

Is this the norm?

We are currently finishing a kitchen remodel and need to have a granite
counter
installed. Called a guy who was recommended, he made an appointment to
come
today at 1:00 and show samples, etc. And never showed up or called.
What gives?

Any suggestions on finding someone reliable?

Thanks,
Kim

sounds like it's probably considered too small a job by the local
contractors to make money on, had a similar probelm getting a concrete
driveway addition poured, called 4 contractors who said they would but
never showed up and never called to reschedule

this form of communication is becoming more commonplace in the "modern"
world, i.e. no communication or extremely poor communication

put it off for months then mentioned to a friend couldn't get it done

he knew a hungry concrete crew and got the job done in short order

keep trying till you find someone hungry enough, might help to get a
friend who knows a contractor who can do it, then you might have some
leverage ; )

reading through other replies in this thread was interesting, and a few more
thoughts came to mind

if you are not a corporation, you are competing with them to get talent, and
talent tends to follow the money,,,in effect, corporations are making life
extremely hard on individuals

secondly, with 5 years restoration under his belt, has your husband
considered trying to tackle the job himself?