William Brown

I think most good contractors or tradesmen are overbooked because they
are good. The trick is to find someone who knows the reputations of the
various tradesmen, and get him to make a recommendation; then call the
tradesman and tell him how you got his name, and what you want done.

For a lot of trades, my son calls the realtor who sold him his home (and
who wants to handle the next move, too) and asks for recommendations.
This has worked really well for him. Apparently a good realtor realizes
that some repairs or remodeling can boost the asking price of a home,
and thus his commission, so they get a list of tradesmen who are good.

I visited my son intending to help him with some painting in his new
home; when I saw the vaulted 17 foot ceiling, complicated by curved
walls and a stairway, I realized we were not going to be able to do it
with ladders, and even scaffolding would be a challenge. After talking
about it, he called the realtor and got names of three painters; all
responded to his calls, one came over that evening and gave an estimate
we liked, so he called the others and advised them. It was rainy in San
Diego when this happened and the estimate was given Tuesday evening, and
the work was to be done Friday(!). Wednesday it rained again and the
contractor called and said he couldn't do his outdoor work in the rain
and asked if he could come Thursday, a day early. He and his crew
showed up and did a better job than we could have done, in far less time.

Kim wrote:

My husband has been remodeling our house himself for the past 5 years. On the
3 occasions we needed someone to do some work, 2 out of 3 made appointments and
didn't show up or call, and one showed up once, then never showed up again.

Is this the norm?

We are currently finishing a kitchen remodel and need to have a granite counter
installed. Called a guy who was recommended, he made an appointment to come
today at 1:00 and show samples, etc. And never showed up or called.
What gives?

Any suggestions on finding someone reliable?

Thanks,
Kim

there.