Modat22

On 4 Jan 2005 19:44:01 GMT, Ignoramus28225
wrote:

See this thing has a big contactor in it. If it does you can sell that
on ebay.

What does that contactor do? What is it?

Its a big relay, a solenoid actuated switch (sorta)

That transformer you can just chisel the windings off. Latter you
might wind a new primary for say 220 and make a great welder or
serious DC power supply.

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since
there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might
have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would
have a serious DC power source.

I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with
having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about
what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

You'll probably have to wind another primary sized for the welding
load.

On the secondary side you might be using something like #4 or bigger
wire, and you'll have to add an inductor.

Look around on the web you should be able to use that transformer form
for something really cool and dangerous