Chris

In misc.consumers.house Travis Jordan wrote:
Avery wrote:
I am having an addition put on where the telephone cable currently
enters the house. Cavalier telephone has not responded to my request
to reroute the cable other than "it will be very expensive".

So when the contractors cut the cable I will be left with a dangling
bit of aerial wire that I will run underground ( 6- 8 ") about 150
feet to the NIC box. Questions:
1. What kind of connector can I use to splice the aerial cable to
the new cable?
2. What kind of cable should I use for underground wiring? I dont
want to run conduit if I can help it. BTW I have DSL so quality of
signal matters.
3. Most importantly, Are there instructions anywhere for this?
TIA

Avery

snip

2.1.6 Provisions of Equipment and Facilities, (cont)

B. The Company shall use reasonable efforts to maintain facilities and
equipment that it furnishes to the Customer. The Customer may not, nor may
the Customer permit others to, rearrange, disconnect, remove, attempt to
repair or otherwise interfere with any of the facilities or equipment
installed by the Company, except upon the written consent of the Company.

Also be aware that, in general; the wires on the phone company side of the
NIB (network interface box) are NOT your property and cutting or
re-routing that cable could lead to a court appearance. Wire on your side
of the NIB is yours to do with as you choose.

I'd recommend against cutting and splicing anything on the phone side of
the NIB. You may have to bust their balls to get the work done, but they
are the ones that will need to do work on that side of the NIB.

Chris