Default Starting possible deck work in the winter?

Greetings ~

Now that my heat works I am thinking of project #2. I want to build a
ground level deck, about 8 x 10 in the backyard.

It needs to be ground level because the area where it will be is next
to the bulkhead for the basement.

I have ten 8 foot long 6 x 6 PT wood for the base that was formerly a
sandbox.

The temp is warm enough now that I can level the ground and remove what
grass remains, so I figured that was a good start. Then I would lay
down fabric and the PT wood. I would wait until the spring for the
laying of the decking.

I know that a ground level deck just floating on the ground is not
ideal, however I have heard of many small decks made in this manner.
Thoughts on this method?

I am also considering having my driveway done over - as the asphalt is
a mess. The proposed deck area is off the driveway to the left -
thoughts on simply having the area of the deck asphalted instead of
putting in the deck? Additional costs estimates for doing so?

I am in prelim stages, and learning, so any input is appreciated.
Thanks,

Bluesman