Matt

Dude!

I totally think you are radically over your head, brah!

But - if you are talking about a switch, and NOT an outlet, and NOT a
switch which has an outlet beside it, try this:

1) Go to the hardware store, by a switch labeled "3 way".
2) Shut off power. In this case, I recc. you kill the main.
3) Connect the black wire to the black colored screw on the switch.
4) Connect the red wire to one of the brass screws on the switch
(either/or, makes no difference).
5) Connect the white wire to the remaining brass screw.
6) Turn power back on.
7) If a breaker pops when you turned the main back on, or if a breaker
pops when you flip the light switch, STOP, go to step 8.
8) Call an electrician.