Steven T King

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
m...

"DJ" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:19:26 -0500, "dude"
wrote:

Hello, I am in the process of replacing all the light switches in my
home.
Some of the old switches have the 2 wires connected and some have three.
The
switches I bought have only the 2 wire connectors for hot and cold wires.
What do i do if the outlet has the 3 wires? Are there switches that have
the
ground on them as well, to accomodate 3 wires in the outlet?

Yes, they are called "3-way" switches, used when you want to be able
to turn the switch on/off from two locations. When you get into more
than two locations you will need one or more "4-way switch(es)" in the
middle.

When replacing, be sure to wire the new switch identically to the old
one.

Be sure you find the 'common' terminal on the old 3 way switches and mark
the 'common' wire with a piece of tape or something before disconnecting
the wires. The 'common' terminals may not be in the same phyical postion
on the old and new switches. BTDT... The common termininal screw is
usuaally marked in some way such as dark color.

Note that some switches do have a green grounding screw on the yoke which
would add one wire to each type of switch.
Kevin

Do a Google search on "3 way switch wiring" for the operating
principles and wiring options.

thanks

DJ

I second the labelling of the common wire. The original 3 way switches in my
home do not match the physical configurations of any of the new switches
that I have purchased. The first time that happens turn a 5 minute
replacement job into quite an adventure of discovery!

STK