Beachcomber

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:19:03 GMT, SpamFree
wrote:

IMO showering as a function is poorly explored and I've never read any
book which discusses the issues and comes up with recommendations.
Most simply deal with aesthetics, impermeability of surfaces, or cost
and difficulty of installation.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about just take the handles of
the average shower faucet: short lever, long lever, cross, ball, ...
Should it turn right or left? What level of sensitivity should the
faucet have? This is not opinion! There is a right answer although the
right answer may not be implementable because of costs or aesthetics.

Does anyone know of a book or website that discusses bathroom design
considerations from a perspective of functionality and ergonomics?

Just visited a friends bathroom remodel in a San Francisco Victorian.

I couldn't believe how much bad design was put in the name of fashion.
The claw foot tubs were riding high and difficult to step into, the
surrounding shower curtain is icky to touch and gives a feeling of
claustrophobia. The diverter valve required a full 360 turn to turn
on the shower. Single handle faucets are much easier to control flow
and temperature, but these were nowhere to be found. She had a
portable shower nozzle on a hose, but it weighed a ton and was awkward
and difficult to aim and adjust.

Not one bathroom vanity had a single handled valve. Just the inferior
hot and cold mixing valves. I longed for my simple design 1991
molded tub shower combo and solid and functional Moen Faucets.

Beachcomber