bumtracks

not saying this is your snafuu but..
push the breaker handle firmly all the way to off
if you feel some spring tension before it actually reaches full off position
the breaker was in a tripped state - sometimes a breaker looks on but is
actually tripped too until you reset it completely to off

"Dick Smyth" wrote in message
This one has me stumped.
I have a subpanel which feeds both the electric heat upstairs and the

power
to a recent house addition.
I recently accidentally tripped the breaker for the addition. It would not
reset. There is no short or overload; not a case of the breaker tripping
again. The switch stayed in place when reset but there was no juice. I

even
replaced it with a new breaker. (I subsequently found there was nothing
wrong with the original one.) I determined that there is power in the

box.
I re-inserted the breaker in another bay in the box and everything works
fine.
Except the heaters which are on the other two breakers. They're doing the
same thing as the original breaker did. They're not tripped but they are

not
passing power either.
So there is power on the bus bar, the two heater breakers are properly
wired and are not defective. There is no problem with the house wiring or
the thermostats. (Unlikely that three of them would fail at the same

time.)
So how come the heaters don't work?
My only guess is that somehow the breakers are not making proper contact
with the bus bar. .
The electric heat is seldom used although one heater worked as recently as
October.
It is a Square D installation.
Thanks
ds