Speedy Jim

MPost wrote:
I live in an older home and have a tub and bathroom sink that drain very
slowly. When I drain the sink, I can hear a gurgling in the tub drain and,
when I put a lot of water down the sink drain, some water will come up from
the tub drain into the tub. I've been putting some Drano down the drain
every two months or so, but am worried that this may damage my pipes in the
long run. I also have tried to get a snake down the tub overflow, but don't
think I'm even getting past the elbow that turns from vertical to horizontal
under the tub. Unfortunately, the first floor ceiling underneath the tub is
finished, so I can't really get at the trap (I'm assuming it's a drum trap).
So, 2 questions:

1. Is there a secret to getting the snake past that first 90 degree bend?
I'm able to get the snake through sink P traps with no problem, but can't
really figure out what's catching the snake under the tub.

2. Are there any other solutions other than the Drano that are less likely
to damage my pipes, but work for more than a couple of months?

Thanks in advance.

This sounds very typical of old houses. The tub drain runs over to the
stack and the lav basin drain ties in after the tub with a WYE.
Some drum traps can NOT be snaked. SOL

If chemicals don't work, run the snake down the basin drain.
Remove the trap and go right into the wall. If lucky, that will
get the snake past the WYE (where the clog probably is).

Plunging won't work on clogs like this because the pressure will
just go up the vent. The snake may not work either if *it* goes
up the vent. Listen in the wall for it. It's tricky; good luck.

Jim