Matt Whiting

Tony Miklos wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Alexander Galkin wrote:

I wired my finished basement myself.

SNIP

When I switched off basement room receptacles circuit breaker while
all others except sub-panel which does not seem to affect the
problem were on we found there is 8 V power in that circuit.
Switching off some of other circuits reducing this voltage to about
2 V and only switching off all new circuits brings disconnected
voltage to zero as it should be.

If you were reading this voltage at the recept with nothing plugged in
on that circuit, then the 8V is perfectly normal reading and is due to
stray coupling between conductors.

8V seems high. I rarely see more than a few hundred mV from inductive
coupling alone.

Really? I've often seen over 50 VAC, and still with a load as small as
a 7 watt night light, it went down to zero VAC.

Something doesn't jive here. The voltage shouldn't go to zero unless
you short circuit the wires. Any light has resistance and any
resistance that has current flowing through it will have a voltage
across it. The only way the voltage can be zero with current flowing is
if the resistance is also zero (a dead short - with a very short piece
of wire!).

How are you measuring the voltage? Across what terminals?

Matt