Matt Whiting

Tony Miklos wrote:

Alexander Galkin wrote:

Actually, the problem was accidentally discovered by the inspector
that had usual bulb light tester that does not have any scale but just
light bulb.

What kind of "usual bulb light tester" are you talking about? Are you
talking about a little thing with three LED's or neon lights something
like this:

http://www.inspectortools.com/gfciouttesbu.html

If so, it's a worthless piece of crap way to test outlets. I can't
believe inspectors are allowed to use them.

If the inspector didn't use something like that, what kind of bulb and
what wattage is the bulb in the tester he did use?

Did you plug in a regular lamp (turned on of course) and at the same
time test to see if there was any voltage on the circuit with your
multi-meter when the circuit was turned off?

I don't see how plugging in a lamp that is switched off should make a
difference. The outlet itself is an open circuit. A lamp switched off
should also be an open circuit. Please explain how the lamp should
affect the open circuit voltage? I'm an EE so don't be afraid to get
technical.

Matt