Mark S. Holden

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I fired up the scope and had nice patterns on MSM5524 pins 26 thru 31 about
20 volt PP but pin 25 had about 3volts PP . Later I pulled the chip and
bent pin 25 out and plugged it back and voila, no center segment, anytime.
While the chip was out I checked the pull down resistors and they're all
about 100K ohms. Pin 25 which controls the center segment appears to be the
problem. Now what I need to know is the the IC or could it be something
else?
tnx

I presume this is a new acquisition for you.

You've mentioned the previous owner had a note on the schematic
indicating pin 25 controlled that segment.

Sounds to me like he found the problem, and decided it would be easier
to sell with a segment always on than always off.

Murphy's law says since the MSM5524 is out of production and relatively
hard to find it's the most likely problem. (besides, it's the display
driver)

Here's an auction for one I found as part of an unsuccessful search for
a data sheet:

http://search.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/search?desc=MSM5524+&auccat=23761&st=auct&f=&apg=1 &nm=1&acc=sg&alocale=0sg&sb=desc

You may be able to find a better price.