Wayne Tiffany

I ended up with a Toshiba model as it had good specs, good name, and the
remote seemed to be as good as any. Thanks for all the comments.

WT

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would stick with at least something from a major brand like toshiba
or panasonic, I know they tend to be very similar inside but I would
imagine you can usually stand a better chance of at least having it
looked at if/when it dies. (RCA, magnavox and zenith don't exist in
Europe so cant comment on them but have heard bad things about 'em on
the net.)
Many techs wont even look at anything not from a major brand these
days. Also go for the heaviest one! Crude method i know, but there's
more of a chance of metal parts instaed of plastic crap - you never
know!

More to the point, be sure to open the box in-store and have a
demonstration - especially check the functionality of the remote. Go
for the unit which is most suitable/easy for your mother to use, .i.e-
if poss, avoid tiny badly laid out buttons on the remote, dual
functions etc. In fact,I reckon that ought to be the highest criteria
in your case.

Ben