Set Square

Default 28 mm reducer straight into compression

larry wrote:

howdy

I have a 28 mm compression coupling into which I need to put a 22 mm
pipe.

I have bought a 28 to 22 mm reducer (in profile looks like a fat
bottle - with a 22 mm neck and a 28 mm body)

The question is - do I need to solder a 28 mm pipe onto the reducer
and then put the 28 mm pipe into the compression coupling - or can I
put the 28 mm "body" of the reducer straight into the compression
coupling . I'm wondering if the reducer is too weak to go into the
compression coupling ?

cheers
larry

I assume that the reducer is 28mm female one end and 22mm female the other
end - and is thus intended to join a 28mm pipe to a 22mm pipe. If this is
the case, the 28mm end will be too big to go into your compression fitting
anyway. On the other hand, if your reducer has a 28mm male end (unlikely)
you won't be able to put another 28mm pipe inside it, and the reducer will
go straight into the compression fitting.

Is the 28mm compression fitting a straight coupling (rather than an elbow or
tee)? If so, can't you get rid of it, shorten the pipe a bit, and solder
your reducer straight onto the pipe?

--
Cheers,
Set Square