Vic Baron

"Steve" wrote in message
I am fairly new to woodworking, I have done carpenter type work as a
hobby for a while. I got a new plunge router for Xmas and have been
having fun with it. Today I needed to cut 3 disks out of 1.5 inch
thick lumber. I used a 2 inch straight cut bit with the Jasper circle
cutting jig. I made 3 passes and had my 5 inch disk but I also had
smoldering wood. I had it hooked to my vacuum cleaner rather than my
dust collector so I wasn't too worried. I have been wanting to build
a router table but now am worried about hooking up to my dust
collector.

What did I do wrong. Router too fast? Wrong bit?? Needed four or
five passes?

Thanks Steve

IMHO, 1.5" in 3 passes is a bit much. You're hogging out 1/2"/pass.
Depending on the wood, I'd personally go no more than 1/4 to 3/8 max per
pass.

Vic