Andrew

Default jigsaw blade holder rotating

Is the jigsaw blade holder/blade supposed to rotate a little (ie, to
allow for cutting curves)? I just bought an older B&D model 7517 or
something like that. It has a cast (aluminum?) housing, motor requires
oiling every so often, and has 2 places to check brush wear. I have no
idea how old it is. I picked it out of numerous other used ones because
I thought the motors on older units are supposed to be better than the
newer plastic housed ones. I got it to cut 1/8" plywood but broke 3
blades in about 10 minutes. That could have been from 1) my
inexperience, I've never used a jigsaw, 2) dull blades, or 3) bad
machine. Ended up using circular saw to make "finish" cuts. If the
blade isn't supposed to rotate at all then I have a problem and I will
return it.