Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sometimes when I'm
cutting the sawdust in the air is just too much, so I've decided that
I'll look into; (a) a small sawdust collector, or (b), a ceiling hung
filtration system. So what I'm wondering is whether the typical
ceiling hung filtration system would suffice... and whether my Rigid
wet/dry 9 gallon/3.5 HP vac can be rigged for sawdust collection
considering the open end of my table saw?

Or would a dust collector like the Jet DC 1100 or a Delta AP400 be a
better overall choice?

I went through this last summer with my garage shop; I was tired of vacuuming up
the mess, then having to dust the washer and drier a day or so later... and then
a day or so later again. What a PITA.

The first thing I did was buy a JDS air cleaner from Woodcraft that I hung from
the ceiling (by myself; that's another story). With retrospect, that was a
mistake. It improved things but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Hmmmmm.....

Then I did what I should have done to begin with... bought a 1.5HP dust
collector (from Penn State) complete with muffler and a cyclone chunk collector.
THAT cut down on the dust to the point I don't really need to run the cleaner
any more (though I do... I paid for it; I'm gonna use it). I've got it tucked
over in the corner of my garage next to the table saw and ran a Rube Goldberg
piping system to the RAS, floor sweep, and a temporary port for use with the
jointer or planer (or anything else I can think of). The table saw is attacked
from both top and bottom and the dust collection is superb. Noise is so minimal
that I can listen to music as I cut wood.

The shop vac still has its uses but dust collection isn't really its forte.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN