TWS

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:47:19 -0500, wrote:

Can the top wheel exhibit any free play when the saw is tuned
correctly? I've got a Jet 18 inch, and the top wheel seems to be
adjusted - tracking is good, with blade running right in the center of
the tires - however the top wheel will wobble side to side. Up/down
free play seems to be negligible; I assume due to proper setting of
the tracking adjustment screw. The side to side freeplay lessens
somewhat when the blade is tensioned, but will still move.

I guess I thought it should be rigid, like a properly adjusted vehicle
wheel bearing. Bottom wheel is very solidly adjusted, doesn't move
either way.

Anything to worry about?

Thanks,
John Sellers

On my 18 inch Grizzly (an old model) I found that the upper wheel
mounting block fit very loosely into the tracks in the cast iron
frame. Poor machining on the cast iron work. I ended up shimming
both side to side and back in forth in the tracks. Now the upper
wheel is very solid and adjusts smoothly. YMMV

TWS