Nate Perkins

wrote in news:dl2kt09sbbtc52lid0nuua3etagcienvje@
4ax.com:

I've got a small basement shop, roughly 18' X 12' and it's paneled off
from the rest of the basement with a closing door. I have a 10"
contractor table saw, a 4" jointer, a 1/2" drill press, a 10" disk
sander, the proverbial router, SCMS, and whatever. Sometimes when I'm
cutting the sawdust in the air is just too much, so I've decided that
I'll look into; (a) a small sawdust collector, or (b), a ceiling hung
filtration system. So what I'm wondering is whether the typical
ceiling hung filtration system would suffice... and whether my Rigid
wet/dry 9 gallon/3.5 HP vac can be rigged for sawdust collection
considering the open end of my table saw?

Or would a dust collector like the Jet DC 1100 or a Delta AP400 be a
better overall choice?

A dust collector is the place to start. Jet, Delta, Penn State, etc. You
want to catch most of the dust before it gets into the air where you're
breathing it. Get bags or canister units that filter the smallest possible
particle size (at least 5um or less). You will be amazed at how much
cleaner the air and the basement will be.

A shop vac won't be very effective for most applications ... it just
doesn't have enough airflow.

A ceiling mounted unit is helpful as a supplement to primary dust
collection.