Nate Perkins

"Doug" wrote in news:1104771614.303563.47140
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I recently used some elm harvested out of a tree, which was cut down a
couple of years ago, to turn some feet for a buffet I made for my wife.
The reason for using elm was because I could not find a piece of maple
in the size needed. I was pleasantly surprized how nicely the elm
turned in my lathe and how nicely it stained.
Has anybody else used elm for their project needs?

Also having an abundance of sycamore on my property, I'd be interested
to know if any of you woodworkers could share your experiences using
either sycamore or elm for your projects.

I've used some Iowa red elm for making a largish telescope tripod. Darned
stuff had some huge stresses in it -- taught me a lesson in the importance
of rough ripping on the bandsaw. Whether that was due to drying or growth
habit, I don't know. It was relatively straight grained, and a bit off
from flatsawn.

It finished nicely with a tung oil varnish mix.

Another poster mentioned that it was not pleasant smelling to mill, and
that seems familiar to me as well.