Silvan

Bob Schmall wrote:

That ain't woodworking, Nahmie, that just ain't woodworking. It's
manufacturing.

This craftsman vs. artiste-type thread breaks out every so often, and it
will never go away. A hundred years from now it'll be laser-guided saws

Since this whole thread seems to have turned the wrath of so many against
me, I thought I would expand on that last point a bit. I don't work in
manufacturing, but I've spent more than my fair share of time in furniture
factories. They have big machines, lots of gadgets, and a different
station for everything, but the end result is soulless and uninspired at
best. That's exactly the impression I got watching Nahmie's show. It was
like watching one of the factory guys showing me how they make stacks of
identical futons. Sure, it's wood. Sure, the parts fit together. Where's
the soul? The spirit of the piece? The imagination?

I guess I'm an artiste type, as you surmise, which is hardly surprising
considering my other hobbies include photography, painting (on canvas),
drawing, ornamental gardening and music. To each his own. Anybody who
enjoys Nahmie is more than welcome to watch and emulate him all day long.
You can have as many routahs and oscillating reciprocating double
articulated hoosalflootchies as you have outlets and money for for all I
care. For my own part, I will keep doing what I'm doing, and I will make a
point just to leave the stupid idiot light off for another 20 years.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/