Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
First, pay attention to your surroundings. Solid non-slick surface to
stand on. Nothing to catch the cord on (if it's corded). No
distractions. Goggles or face sheild. Hearing protection. Next, take no
action likely to bind the blade in the wood, causes kickbacks. Like
trying to cut a curve, or cutting unsupported wood. What you are
cutting needs to be supported on both sides of the cut, such that the
cutoff doesn't tip after the cut either. A good method for plywood is
to set up saw horses or saw on the ground if you're limber, with either
several boards under, or boards and a layer of foam insulation. You can
cut slightly into the foam many times before replacing it. A saw guide,
as in long stiff straight edge you can clamp to your wood is helpful
for accurate cuts. Never remove or disable the blade guard. That's all
I can think of off hand. Anything I missed, guys?

I have to disagree with the part about supported wood. It is common and
very safe to cut off pieces. In fact it is better than your suggestion
which is more likely to create kickback. Beyond that, a usenet forum is a
bad place to get this level of advice. You really need to spend a short
amount of time with someone who uses circular saws a bit and get the one on
one, first hand coaching you need. I credit the OP with asking, but he's
better off hooking up with a carpenter for a weekend and learning the right
way.
--

-Mike-