igor

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:26:47 GMT, "Matt Zack"
wrote:

I am stripping an old set of oak stairs. Can anyone suggest a commercial
grade paint remover?

Thanks. Matt

FWIW, I have tried _perhaps_ every brand of paint remover over the years
and never have had much luck -- even when the stuff is recommended by
friends who claim they got good results. I use a heat gun. I did a set of
90 year old steps, including the railing, square ballusters, newel posts,
and the paneling on the side of the stairway. I ended up using chemicals
only for some residue. The wood, I believe, is chestnut. Of course, since
the wood was to be stained, I had to be careful about burning -- and I did
make one small mistake with the paneling.

Used the same to remove probably all 90 years of paint layers on the carved
woodwork along the facia of my front porch - which I then re-painted (but
then the carving could be seen). -- Igor.