....Ken

I made a log bed (Douglas Fir) years ago and simply wiped some teak oil on
it. If you like that aged, yellowed look,
and have access to sunshine...leave it out side in indirect sunshine (well
oiled/sealed end grain of course) and it will 'age' quicker. I knew a fellow
who built a straw compost pit once to age his pine boards....that may be
excessive.

regards...Ken

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
Been thinking long and hard the past few days about how I plan to finish a
log bed I am nearing completion on.
It's out of pine logs that were draw knifed and now being sanded. I

don't
want to stain it but was thinking that maybe
a touch of amber to elicit that old pine look might be nice. Thinking I
was going to try tung oil as I've never used it
although I just read Flexner's piece on tung oil and it just doesn't sound
very appealing (durability, etc...). Thought about
shellac as that's just about my favorite finish but lord, I really don't
want to pad a whole bed's worth . Thought about
Watco Natural (Varnish/Oil?) and that's probably still in the running.
I've got a conventional sprayer that I've never used
for anything other than latex and just got a Critter so thinking about
trying to spray the shellac. How hard is this? Are there
any other suggestions for how to finish this thing? I will be making
matching end tables etc... so whatever I do will have to be
repeated a few times. Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
cc