TeamCasa

I built a cribbage using a steel template I bought from a guy on eBay.
Worked great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Dave

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
I know it sounds pretty easy: get a nice board, drill the holes, play
cribbage. But I got problems.

I'm making two boards for my daughters (we've played since they could
count and add; they're teenagers now), so they've got to be perfect. So I
got a verrrrrrry nice board (see separate post for "ancient kauri wood").
I also bought the continuous track cribbage template from Rockler, which
spec's using a Vix bit for the holes. I've taken the Wreck's advice,
test/practice before you f*** it up. Most cribbage boards/pegs use
"standard" 1/8" or 9/64" holes.

Problems:

1. The Vix bit (No. 9, 9/64") doesn't make a clean hole (in other scrap;
I have no scrap of the good board). The peg holes are closely spaced
(0.20" on center); there's enough tearout between holes to discourage me
from using it. I can't find a 9/64" brad point bit. Pluswhich, the Vix
bit housing spins enough to counter sink the plexiglass template enough to
make me worry about using the template too many times.

2. I'm not keen on drilling hundreds of holes with a 1/8" brad point bit
without a template. (I don't like the template I got anyway, but that's
my fault. I'd prefer to use a 4-track pattern, e.g. Dreuke
CribbageMaster).

3. I had planned on finishing the boards with shellac before I drilled
the holes, but the tearout problem has me re-thinking that. But, I don't
like the prospect of finishing the boards after drilling the peg holes,
because the shellac will fill the holes (I'm pretty sure it will,
anyhow), and I'd have to re-drill the holes afterwards, again without a
template.

OK, any or you Wreckers made cribbage boards out of wood you're reluctant
to screw up? Any insight? Or flames?

As always, thanks a heap.
-jbb