George

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently used some elm harvested out of a tree, which was cut down a
couple of years ago, to turn some feet for a buffet I made for my wife.
The reason for using elm was because I could not find a piece of maple
in the size needed. I was pleasantly surprized how nicely the elm
turned in my lathe and how nicely it stained.
Has anybody else used elm for their project needs?

Also having an abundance of sycamore on my property, I'd be interested
to know if any of you woodworkers could share your experiences using
either sycamore or elm for your projects.

Turning elm is sort of like another activity - once you get past the
smell....

Though you can turn it green and almost throw it into the sun to dry without
split, it's not the friendliest wood in the world to work in the flat, due
to the grain reversals that make it almost unsplittable. The grain can be
extremely dramatic - almost _too_ loud for large projects. Makes nice
drawer fronts and door inserts, where it's an accent only.

Sycamore is really noisy, too. For my money, a small project or accent wood
only. Turns well, but can be dicey to dry, because the smallest check on a
ray line can run quickly, like beech.