Phil Norman

Default Stamp Duty

Hello everyone

This may not be quite what this ng is about, but if anyone can help - or
refer me to a ng that could - I would be very grateful.

Before anyone tells me that a solicitor would sort this out for me, I know
that, but I would some like some idea about the process before I get to the
stage of employing solicitors, etc.

Essentially I want to sell my house to my daughter for a nominal price -
£35,000 instead of the £150,000 that it's worth. We have various reasons for
wanting to do this. Mainly I just want to give her the property (it will be
hers anyway some time in the future), but I need to pay off the existing
mortgage - that's were the £35,000 comes in. Then my wife and I plan to move
into another property that we have some involvement with, but don't own.

When she went to have a chat with a building society, about getting a
mortgage, they said that there could be a Stamp Duty charge because of the
value of the house - although Stamp Duty doesn't normally become payable
until a property sells for more than £60,000 (or that used to be the
figure - it may have changed).

Anyone got any ideas? Also we wouldn't want to go to the bother, and
expense, of having searches and similar things done when we transfer
ownership (we only bought the place three years ago). What are the rules
about this?

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Phil