Dan Klima

Hi Mike!

I hollow out the spoon end with the red Typhoon bits that Fordom has. Their
red carbide bits are more aggressive than their blue ones. I don't have a
Fordom, but my Dremel works just fine with their 1/8" shank bits. I think
they go for about $15 - $18 (US). I have a flex shaft for it to make it
easier to handle as I carve out the spoon. I then use Dremel's abrasive pad
that mounts on it's arbor attachment for final smoothing.

Hope this helps!
- Dan Klima

"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail dot com wrote in message
news:ef3f0$41db227e$41a9ca42$19772@allthenewsgroup s.com...
So I've turned a bunch of wooden utensils for friends and family, but

never
had time to finish them for Xmas presents. The reason behind this is not
because of the handles (which look fab thank you very much) but because of
the other end. I've gotten good creating the wooden flipper but I'm

having
trouble finding an efficient way to carve or remove the material from the
spoon to make it a spoon. I've tried my dremel with an aggressive sanding
tube and that works, but takes forever to actually hollow it out and get a
good spoon. I've also tried my ROS with 80 grit on it and cut round

groves
on the edges to make a textured spoon, but not one with a good deep spoon
pocket.

So How do I create or hollow out the spoon part after I've turned the
handle? I cannot think of any way to do this with the lathe, and I need

do it in an efficient manner as I have about 30 of these to do.

Thanks!!!